We’ve made a new friend—MailChimp
We’re excited to announce our integration with MailChimp (MC) so that you can send your contacts from AMO to add new contacts and to update existing ones in your email marketing lists. Here are some of the perks of using MailChimp over AMO’s messaging system:
- Tracking analytics such as opens, clicks, A/B Testing
- Auto filter bounce-back emails
- Schedule Email Campaigns
- Automated email campaigns based on interactions
- More email templates
What you will be able to do
- Send your entire AMO database to a list you’ve created in MailChimp
- Sync your standard fields from AMO with fields (Merge Tags) that you create in MC.
- Update your MailChimp list and fields automatically every night (or send an update over on-demand).
What you won’t be able to do
- Sync anyone without and Email Address
- Have multiple contacts with the same email address (They takes the latest entry as the final update.)
- Sync updates from MC back to AMO.
- Post messages sent from MC back to AMO.
- Use AMO’s messaging tool to send via MC.
How do I use it?
- Make sure that you have setup a MailChimp account or click here to set one up now!
- Find your API key in your MailChimp account:
- Click on your Name at the top of the left-hand navigation and then on “Account Settings”
- Click on Extras and then API Keys
- Create a new API Key and change the label to say “AMO” so you know what it’s being used for.
- Copy the API Key and go back to AMO.
- Now that You’re in AMO, click on “Integrations from the main navigation and then “settings”.
- Click the check box by MailChimp Integration and then paste your API Key into the text box and click “Update”
- Click on MailChimp under the Integrations Menu.
- You’ll see a drop down of your current Mailing Lists. (We recommend creating a new list for your AMO contacts, see how here!)
- Once you’ve selected your list, you’ll be shown a list of the fields that MailChimp is collecting and you can match them up with the standard fields and categories from AMO. (If you need to create more fields, learn how here.
- HINT: For Categories, Committees, and the Association Member checkbox, create a Radio Button merge tag in MailChimp with two option: Yes & No.)
- HINT: For Member Type, create a Single Select dropdown, with options that match your AMO Member Types exactly (copy/paste!)
- If you’d like your list to be updated every night with any changes from the AMO database just check the “Update MailChimp Nightly” checkbox.
- When you’re all set, click “Save Fields” and then click “Send to MailChimp”. Shortly after (time depends on your database size) your contacts will be placed in your MailChimp List.
- If you’d like to send a fresh update to MailChimp mid-day, check the “Clear Last Sent” checkbox and click Save fields. Then click Send to MailChimp and your lists will be updated.